Our friends in PortAransas, Texas gearing up for their wooden boat show! Show ’em some love, they visited with us this year and we truly enjoyed their company.
Over 100 feet of floating dock is being installed this morning on Bayou Teche at the location of the Bayou Teche Wooden Boat Show. Joe Dubois of EZ Dock Gulf Coast and his crew will have the dock finished by the end of today. We thank Sen. Bret Allain and Rep. Sam Jones for securing state funding for this much-needed project, and the cooperation of St. Mary Parish Government and the City of Franklin in helping bring the project to fruition.
Yes, the forecast looks kinda tough right now, but it appears to be clearing out for the most part by Friday evening. We are on target for opening up Friday afternoon, and we should be on the show grounds by 1 p.m.
Well, the Good Lord willin’ and the crick don’t rise, we’re going to try to pull off a boat show again this April! Dates are 15-17, same place, same times.
As usual, there are no entry or space fees to enter, but please reply to me to let me know if you’re coming and how many in your party. We are beginning the planning stages, and it’s always good to have a head count in advance.
Also, I had to attempt to rebuild my email list from scratch after a hard drive crash, so if there’s anybody you notice I missed, please let them know. My new address is firstname.lastname@example.org, but the email@example.com will work for a few more months, so it’s better to update it in your email program.
More good news: We received a state grant for floating docks. If all goes according to plan, we should have a little more than 100 feet of floating dock installed by show time…however, the wheels of government churn slowly, so keep your fingers crossed.
I’ll send more updates as they are available, and also keep your fingers crossed for better weather than last year.
Given that the weather forecast 5-10 days out keeps changing practically every minute, we do not feel comfortable trying to schedule a show only to have to pull the plug again. We had hoped to do something in the next 2-3 weeks, but it just doesn’t seem likely.
As of now, our hope is to wait for when/if the rainy season subsides and we can start getting more reliable indications of the weather. If that occurs before it gets unbearably hot, we will try to set a date. Even then it’ll be dicey, as we’d have to decide at least two weeks out to let everyone make plans to attend if they can.
If none of that works out, we’ll shoot for something in the fall, and if none of that plays out, we’ll shoot for 2016!
Thank you all for your patience. The rain that fell last Friday night in Franklin was over 5 inches, and it was far worse east and west of us, where folks would have been traveling to try to reach us. We know we made the right call, unpleasant as it was.
We will be in touch.
Everyone, the weather is just not going to allow us to continue. The Bayou Teche Wooden Boat Show is off for this weekend.
We are considering another date to try again in the next few weeks. A lot of things will have to fall into place for that to happen, but we promise to keep you posted.
PLEASE SHARE WITH OTHERS in case I don’t reach everyone.
Thank you for your patience and support!
Folks, things are not much better. As of Wednesday at 3 p.m. I am showing 80% Friday, 70% Saturday and 60% Sunday, according to the National Weather Service, and that’s the best forecast I can find! The Weather Channel says 60/100/40, and Intellicast says the same.
If that’s not bad enough, I find 100% for New Orleans area Friday and Saturday and 80% Sunday. Our friends to the west will see 90/60/20 over the three days, and to the north, Alexandria, La. is 80/80/20 over three days.
I intend to make a final decision tomorrow morning, early, before noon at the very latest. Unless there is a dramatic change in the forecast, it’s very likely we will not hold the sixth show.
We are in discussions about rescheduling if this does happen, but those discussions are too early to reveal much in the way of concrete plans.
So bear with us, please, and watch your email, the website www.techeboatshow.com and our Facebook page for the final word on the subject Thursday morning.
Best regards and as always thank you for your support of the BTWBS,
Please keep checking this site and our Facebook page later in the week. We will be making a decision on the show Wednesday afternoon or early Thursday morning depending on the weather forecast at that time. Keep your fingers cross we get a break!
We’re getting ready for April 17-19 adn the Sixth Bayou Teche Wooden Boat Show. Everything’s falling right into place!
Looking forward to seeing everyone. Please let us know if you’re coming show a boat, if you haven’t already.